Nice one Rishi! The Chancellor has announced yet another lifeline for the restaurant industry.
Diners will soon be able to get a discount of 50% off their bill – when eating or drinking soft drinks in a participating venue – to encourage a return to cafes, pubs and restaurants.
It’s a great boost for business for sure (but a heck of a head scratch for operators to implement!).
At iiko we’ve got your back! Within days of the government’s announcement, our developers set to work creating a new iikoFront Plugin, configuration settings and HMRC Claim report to make implementing the Eat Out scheme easy for iiko customers (at no extra cost)!
How does the scheme work?
You can use the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme to offer a discount to diners and encourage them to eat at your restaurant:
- All day, every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 3 to 31 August 2020.
- To offer a 50% discount on food or non-alcoholic drinks to eat or drink in (up to a maximum of £10 discount per diner).
- To claim the money back from the government.
- There is no limit to the number of times customers can use the offer during the period of the scheme. Your customers cannot get a discount for someone who is not eating or drinking.
- Alcohol and service charges are excluded from the offer.
Registration will close on 31 August. Restrictions apply. Register with HMRC.
What are the new iiko updates?
iiko’s new FREE software updates will make it easy for customers to implement the scheme:
- Prepare scheme settings.
- Automatically apply scheme criteria when taking orders.
- Report on the calculations required for making HMRC claims.
1. We have produced a new plugin for iikoFront:
- A new tender type “Eat Out 2 Help Out” will be applied as a pre-payment. When your servers print out a bill, the HMRC prepayment will be automatically calculated and the guest will need to pay the remaining balance.
- At the final customer bill, the plugin will check what products and discounts are applicable to the scheme, number of guests and order type.
- The plugin automatically makes the 50% calculation whilst capping at £10 per guest so your servers don’t have to work out the maths.
- If the server did not specify the number of guests, a pop-up will automatically prompt them before tendering, if the transaction is applicable to the scheme.
- iiko will automatically apply the criteria for transactions on Mon, Tues, Weds of August 2020.
- The calculation will not reduce the total revenue or VAT due to ensure your accounting and tax reporting is accurate.
2. We have produced new configuration settings:
- Easily switch the scheme settings on and off (e.g. for test transactions).
- Apply order types and item categories applicable for the scheme.
3. We have produced a new HMRC Claim Report:
- Our new HMRC Claim Report will help customers access information that HMRC may require in making a claim.
What do customers need to do now?
- Apply for the scheme with HMRC today: click here.
- If you haven’t registered for the new iikoFront plugin to be applied to your solution yet, contact us.
Once you have completed these two steps:
- You need to keep your tills switched on from now until the scheme starts in-order to receive the software update. (We will email you when its ready along with a video guide).
- You will then need to apply your scheme settings in iiko configuration.
- As you start trading during the scheme watch your report get populated – you can now easily access the information to make your HMRC claim!
At iiko, we’ve got your back! These new FREE iiko features are essential and will make it super easy to administer the scheme.